Sunday, May 24, 2015

The Post-Make Music Happen Conference Post

Yesterday, I held my second Make Music Happen Conference, and it was fantastic! 25 students from across the island got to workshop songs, learn from pros, and perform for, and network with, each other. My tired brain is running a continuous loop now of wonderful memories of student performances - some showing abilities far beyond their years, some taking the stage for the first time; everybody seemed to reach deep within themselves to be sure to get the most out of the day. I can't imagine being more pleased with what came of the conference. 

To the established artists who lead workshops: Sherman DowneyDanielle Elizabeth SmithMark BraggNick Hamlyn, and Ian Cornelissen & Sandy May, I love you. Really. Just as I expected, you not only inspired the students you worked with, but you seemed energized by them as well. I would choose you all again in a heartbeat.

To the industry-types who lead sessions: Dave Connors, Nick Hamlyn (on the fly, no less), and Tom Cochrane, thank you for adding further depth to the scope of the day. 

To the crew who made things happen at CBRH: Dave ConnorsMike BroadbentBill Allan, and Jonny Payne, I am deeply grateful. Given the scope of the day, I'd be forgiven for feeling stressed, but I never really did, which is odd, because I'm naturally prone to feeling stressed. But, even with some hiccups that messed with the timing a bit, I knew everything was going to work out fine.

To my lieutenant, Krista Conway: without you, the event wouldn't have the polish, nor the cohesion, and I wouldn't have felt as steady. I can't say it enough. Thank you.

Thanks to all who attended the concert last night. And, to all who did not attend, you really missed something special. Stay tuned for performance videos in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment